Friday, January 16, 2015

Rebozados (Crisp-Fried Shrimp), Roasted Potatoes, and Sauteed Mushrooms & Onions

This past Friday, January 9th, was the birthday of St. Josemaria Escriva. In celebration, this week's international meal is Rebozados from Spain. In Bittman's International book, it's on pg. 92. As one cannot only eat fried shrimp for dinner (though I am happily tempted), I am adding my own roasted potatoes and sautéed mushrooms & onions in the style of Julia Child.

Yazza Roasted Potatoes
Ingredients & Prices

about 3 lbs Russett potatoes - $1.49 (BJs)
1 medium yellow onion - $0.23 (FL)
4 Tbsp Butter - $0.36 (BJs)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil - $0.32 (FL)
Sea Salt  - $0.02
Fresh Ground Pepper - $0.02
about 2 cloves garlic - $0.13

Potatoes: $2.57


 Mushrooms & Onions

1 T Butter - $0.09
2 T Olive Oil - $0.16
8 ounces sliced mushrooms - $1.59 (FL)
1/2 medium yellow onion - $0.12
salt & pepper to taste - $0.03

M&Os: $1.99




MB's Rebozados 

2 eggs - $0.50
1 tsp olive oil - $0.03
1 T minced fresh parsley - $0.10
1/4 tsp crumbled saffron (or more) - $1.50
1/2 tsp baking soda - $0.01
1/4 tsp salt - $0.01
1/4 tsp cayenne - $0.13
3/4 C flour - $0.09
Olive Oil for deep-frying - $1.92
1 lb small shrimp, peeled - $8.99
lemon or lime juice - $0.10
(Mark says fresh wedges, but I don't have any)

Rebozados: $13.38

Total Price for 2 Adults, 3 kids, only leftover potatoes: $17.94

Order of Things

I'm putting the potatoes on over an hour before I want to eat, as they take longer than I think every time. I'm roasting them at 400 degrees. in a glass casserole dish, just all the stuff tossed in there as evenly as I can make it happen. I chop the potatoes to about 1-2" cubes, or what one calls cubes as we lack such things as rectangular potatoes. Also, I put the frozen raw shrimp in a colander under coldish tap water. It's 4:21 now, and I'm starting. Prep Stop time: 4:31. Potatoes are in the oven.

Now I'll peel the shrimp. That also always takes way longer than I expect. 4:34-4:46. Ok, it's 5 on the nose. The shrimp & batter are ready to go, so I'm going to make the mushrooms and start heating the oil. I'll wait for my husband to get home to fry the shrimp. Alright, Julia would probably slap my hand for cooking the mushrooms so closely together. But I'm not Julie. This is Food&Money.
Now I'm just waiting for the boys to get home to fry. The oil's hot.

Next time I make this, I'll use vegetable oil to fry (I don't think it was worth it to use the olive oil, I don't care what Mark says), and I'll put more garlic in the potatoes, cause roasted garlic is amazing.
Y'all should make these shrimps. They look so neat, and they're, well, they're yummy.



Rankings!

                                       ME      HUSBAND    8yo   4yo   2yo        AVG

Health                            7                6                 10     10    10           8.6

Flavor                            7                8                 7       10    3              7

Fun to Eat                     9                9                 7       10    2             7.4  

Presentation                  7                8                1         1     1             3.6

OVERALL                   6                 8                9         9     5             7.4

The rankings are only for the shrimp.


No comments:

Post a Comment