Friday, October 18, 2013

Buttermilk Biscuits

These are super yummy.  I make them so often, the ingredients are on the sticky note inside my cabinet with the tortilla recipe. They're from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. However, I disobey him. He says not to bother souring milk, but I find the soured milk version to be super fantastic, and so so much better than spending money on buttermilk that I'm not going to use all of it anyway. But anyhow, here's how much it costs. 


INGREDIENTS


2 Cups Flour - $0.26
1 tsp salt - $0.01
3 tsp Baking Powder - $0.12
1 tsp Baking Soda -  $0.03
5 T Butter, cold, chopped into bits - $0.31
(nota bene - Mark says use 2-5, more being better,
 I'm with him. More. Also, BJ's is awesome - 
I got salted butter for $1.95/pound) 
A jot less than 7/8 Cup of Milk (I use whole) - $0.19 (my gal was 3.18)
1 T Lemon Juice - $0.06

First make the buttermilk by pouring the milk into a liquid measuring cup. Eyeball it, so it's about halfway between 3/4 and 7/8 of a cup. Add the lemon juice and stir. Set aside. Don't take too long moving on, here.

Look, you can see it souring. Cool, huh?

Mix together dry ingredients. Toss in butter pieces and rub between your fingers to mix. Speedy like, cause your hands will melt the butter. Then add in the buttermilk and stir nice and juicy like. 
Squishy!
Pour some flour on a countertop. Wipe the batter onto the flour. Add some more flour to the top, and pat down. Give a cute little girl a glass, and let her shape the biscuits.


Place on non-stick cookie sheets, bake in pre-heated oven at 450 for around 7 minutes. Judge your oven for yourself. Mine has some hotspots, a tendency not to be hot enough, and is gas. So that's mine.


Sorry no picture of done-ones. They get eaten too fast. I like to double the recipe and freeze half. If you do this, make sure to defrost your dough or you get uncooked middles.

Total Cost for 12 Biscuits (1 recipe): $0.98





No comments:

Post a Comment