Monday, June 3, 2013

Pasta Challenge - Week 2 - Shanghai Noodles

Week 2 brings us Shanghai Noodles. This recipe is fantastic, and the leftovers are just as good. We had a ton leftover, and all was gone in two days. We're giving it a 5 out of 5 stars. I also will be adding this recipe to my store of staples, as the price is good as well as the flavor.

Ingredients

6 T oil - $0.18
2-4 T sesame oil - $0.40 (I used 4T)
4 C shredded cabbage (I used a head) - $2.29
1 C chopped green onion - $1.99
16 ounces angel hair pasta - $1.29
4-8 T soy sauce (I used 6 and more at table) - $0.64
8 ounces sliced cooked chicken breasts - $2.46
2 cans bean sprouts - $2.49 (I used only 1 can, as I was running out of space in my wok).
 1 yellow onion - $0.45


This meal is really easy, too, but you have to have a huge pan or a wok if you want to make as much as I did all at once, and if you do, still expect a mess. I made quite a mess on the stovetop. 
First, grab a few chicken breasts and steam them in your rice cooker. If you can't steam 'em, you can saute', broil, or boil them. As you wish. I like the rice steamin' idea, though, as they end up moist and delish if you toss in an onion.

ewww, raw stuff
Cook that angel hair pasta, but not too long at all. Boil the water and stir the pasta about for maybe four minutes. Remember it's going to cook again in the wok.

I liked this brand of pasta. yum

boiley, boiley
For the rest of my cooking experience this meal, I was holding my cute lil yum-tastic baby, so I didn't get any more cooking shots.

Would you deny him mama-time? Super cuteness.
Heat the oils in the wok/super big pan. Add the cabbage and chopped green onion and saute for about 10 minutes. Yes, the recipe on food.com says 5, but it's not possible to do so. I'm telling you. There's way too much cabbage to move it all around that fast. Add pasta, soy sauce, chicken, and bean sprouts. (PS - you can totally go sans chicken on a meal-less Friday or just for money saving spectacularness). Stir it about for what feel like you've just done some serious lat-pulling. Then do it some more, so it's all mixed up and even-like. Here's what you get. It'll be sticky and delicious. Sriracha is a fantastic addition if you like spicy. 

oh yes. yum.
Here's what happens if you serve this.

Total Cost for 2 Adults, 2 Children, and 4 leftover lunches and 1 more leftover dinner: $12.19. Imagine no chicken: It moves down to: $9.73.



1 comment:

  1. Yay you're back!

    This is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever (and you know I'm a connoisseur): http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/nutella-stuffed-brown-butter-sea-salt-chocolate-chip-cookies-my-favorite-cookie-ever/

    ReplyDelete