Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pasta Challenge! Week 1 - Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus

I have received a challenge from my husband to make a new kind of pasta - one I've never made before - every Sunday. Today I begin with something simple, having had to do the shopping and cooking today. This meal is great to make fast, though it has ingredients you probably don't already have stocked, so you have to go to the store. It's also a little pricy, but pretty tasty. Definitely don't use a pound of asparagus. It cost too much, and it was too much asparagus. Oh, and I shopped at Safeway this time, just so you know where my costs come from. Overall, we give it a 3 out of 5 stars. The recipe I used is from Food & Wine

Ingredients

I didn't mention the chocolate in the ingredients, as I ate that separately.
 1 pound Asparagus - $9.08 (yikes!)
3/4 pound Fettuccine - $1.13
1  Cup Heavy Cream - $1.60
pinch nutmeg - $0.02
3/4 tsp salt - $0.01
1/8 tsp ground black pepper - $0.03
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan + more for serving - $2.33 
(We used about a third of a wedge).
Just now I realize I should have tossed some of my fresh
parsley from my window box on to make it extra pretty.
But I didn't.



Everyone waiting for the yum.

This meal is just about the simplest one to make of all meals ever. No, really. First, put some water on to boil your fettuccine in. Then you tear off the bottoms of the asparagus. If you've never cooked with asparagus, it's really easy, you hold the stalk in one hand and with the other, grab the bottom and just snap it off. It snaps off right where it needs to. Then chop them into 1" pieces. Or so. Whatever you like, really.


Go ahead and chop your butter into bits and grate your cheese and have your milk ready. I usually like to use the big grate on my cheese, but since this cheese is part of a sauce, I went for the thin grate.

Look at that lovely mound of cheese and butter. Mmmhmm.

Cook the pasta for 8 minutes. Then add the asparagus straight into the pasta. Real gentle-like.



Be sure to have Darius Rucker singing "Wagon Wheel" stuck in your head the whole time, too. Good song. Drain. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and serve. Ta-Da. Yum. I served mine with bread and olive oil with salt & pepper upon a lovely navy gingham tablecloth. You can use whatever tablecloth you have available, of course.



Yum.



Total Cost 2 Adults, 2 kids (2 & 6), one lunch serving left over:  $14.20
If I'd gone with half the asparagus, it would have run at a much more reasonable $9.66.

No comments:

Post a Comment