Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Our Engagement Story!

Okay, so this is neither food nor money, but what Betty asks, Betty gets!

My husband and I started dating in September of 2001, the beginning of our Freshman year at UD. Junior year, we got engaged shortly after he was confirmed into the Church. He asked my father's permission first,  which I knew he had done and had been looking at rings (I knew that, too). Anyhoo. One day he said, hey, let's get up super early tomorrow morning and watch the sun rise. I said 'Sure.' I figured this was another fake out, as he had not proposed to me on numerous occasions in the past few weeks, including a super nice dinner at a super nice restaurant.

Thus was I in sweat pants and a tank top on the morning of April 22, 2004, walking out Braniff towards the seminary. We had had our first kiss at Seminary Hill - under a tree at the path overlooking the seminary - right at the edge of the sidewalk. There used to be a bench there. No longer. Anyhow, we walked up the path to the top of the hill and tried to see the sun rise, but it was an overcast day. We chatted. It was a nice, only lightly mosquitoey morning. On the way back down, Lionel stopped at the spot of our first kiss, reciting this:

Thrice three times thirty, thrice again and three
Since I began days, months, to aspirate:
Though inclination's tax asperity,
Yet have I borne it well so far to wait.
Ask not the stars, fast sentries of the night,
That wheel their slow course crawling in the sky--
No loved Adonis, checked in constant flight
Has ever loved unsatisfied as I--
They nothing know of time, eternal things
That ever hold their station, naught of want,
Who nothing know what love's impatience brings;
On crutches, Time, though jaunty, yet can naught.


May ten times slower be the rest of life
If you, my love, consent to be my wife.

He went to his knee for the last two lines and took a blue heart-shaped box from his pocket (he was in a suit), and gave me the most perfect ring. I knelt down, too, and said yes over and over again. It was a lovely lovely day.


I've got a picture somewhere of that day with me showing off the ring. I don't know where. This is from our Rehearsal dinner. We got married on June 25, 2005. 

3 comments:

  1. My best friend is getting married that day too in a little over a week! How exciting! What a beautiful poem he read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. I think I forgot to mention - he wrote the sonnet, too, not just read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, Did you know we were getting married at the exact same time on the exact same day in the exact same year?

    Did I know that already?

    Very cool!!! And really sweet!

    ReplyDelete