Sunday, May 29, 2011

Spring Veggie Medley

I've been at my parents' house in Texas for five days, and eventually, I just had to get in that kitchen and do something. Yesterday, my Mom's friend Wanda brought over a bunch of fresh veggies from her neighbour's garden. Score! My mom hates okra, so she insisted that I be the one to cook up the okra. Happily, included in the bag full of yummies (yes, veggies are yummies, you crazy fool) were fresh yellow squash and tomatoes, too! Wooohoooo! Prices today will be based on getting free veggies from someone, as I hope you can do. If you can't, maybe you need to start garden of your very own. No, it is not too late in the season. I promise.

Ingredients & Prices

1 Yellow Squash - free from friend's garden!
1/2 Large White Onion - $0.89
4 whole garlic cloves - $0.12
1 Large Tomato - free from friend's garden!
10 Medium Fresh Okra - free from friend's garden!
6 Tbsp Butter - $0.42
1/2 tsp Oregano - $0.03
1/4 tsp Cumin - $0.02
1/4 tsp Dried Cilantro - $0.04
Salt & Pepper to Taste - $0.04ish

Instructions

Roughly chop up all the veggies except the garlic. Leave those whole. Melt the butter in a decent-sized skillet. Add the onions and garlic.  Cook, stirring and/or flipping often. Add in the squash and okra. Dash in those seasonings as you see fit. Cover and cook for about ten minutes. Uncover. Toss in the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve it up. Yummy.


Total Cost (as a side) for 7 Adults, 3 Kids, no leftovers: $1.56

No comments:

Post a Comment