Thursday, May 12, 2011

Penne Pasta with Fresh Tomato & Butter Sauce

Today is Thursday, and when I was growing up, Thursday was Pasta day! In truth, today we are having chicken fajitas here at my house, but on Tuesday we had Pasta, so I will share that recipe with you today. Tuesday only my kids and I ate, since my husband was out with his colleagues for an end of the semester dinner.

Ingredients & Prices

1/2 Pound Penne Pasta - $0.59
1 tsp Salt - $0.02

2 Vine Tomatoes (or 4 Roma Tomatoes) - $1.44
1 Stick Butter - Salty style - $0.70
1 tsp Garlic, minced - $0.03
2 Wild Onions, minced - $0.00 - they're wild
1/2 tsp Oregano - $0.03
1/2 tsp Basil - $0.02 (from last year's harvest)
1/4 Cup Red Wine or Red Wine Vinegar - $0.82 
1 tsp Salt - $0.02 (you may want to use more)
Pepper to taste - $0.01

French Bread - $0.79

Instructions

Boil the water and preheat the oven if you want to toast the bread (not me!). 

Chop up the onions and mince the garlic and onions.



Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. 



Add onions and cook for about a minute, moving around a lot. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for another minute, moving around a lot again. 



Add the seasonings and the wine, and turn the heat to low.


Cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes or as long as it takes for the pasta to finish cooking.


Toss the sauce with the penne and serve it up with bread. 




It's amazing for dipping the bread in. Oh yes. Better than yummy olive oil, and that's saying something.


See. Yum.

Total Cost to feed 1 Adult, 1 kid, 1 baby & have 1 lunch worth of leftovers: $4.57.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, indeed! I used to cook with wine quite often, but for some reason I haven't so much over the last year or so. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Wine vinegar works well, too and is crazy cheap and you can keep it in your cabinet for at least a year. I actually used some wine left over from when some friends brought some and we didn't quite finish it the other night. It didn't taste good for drinking anymore (as it had been open for four days), but it was great in the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love a good pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete