Thursday, April 21, 2011

Popovers

These are Mark Bittman's Popovers, and they are amazing. My four year old son has been loving them since he was a baby, and my husband actually requested them this morning. I had never even heard of them before I saw them in Mark's book, now that page is pretty messed up from being the book constantly being open to it, not that I actually need the instructions at this point. I make them SO often. Yum. Remember those German oven pancakes? These taste a lot like those. They're great with eggs, cream cheese, or plain. I usually go for plain.

Ingredients & Prices

1 Cup Flour - $0.12
1 Tbsp Oil or Melted Butter - $0.01 (I used veggie oil)
1 tsp Sugar - $0.01
1/2 tsp Salt - $0.01
2 Eggs - $0.32
1 Cup Milk - $0.20

Basic Instructions

Preheat oven to 425. Mix everything together thoroughly. Drop it all into a well-greased and slightly hot muffin tin. Fill the ones you don't use with water. Sometimes I get 12, but usually 10 or 11. I don't know why. Anyhow. Fill the empty ones to help cook evenly. 

Place in the oven for 15 minutes, and do not open. Turn the oven down to 350 and go for 15 more minutes, not opening, even to check on them, for at least 20 minutes. If your oven is as crazy hot as mine is, then your popovers will actually be done at that 20/25 minute mark. My old oven took the full 30 minutes plus a little extra before the tops were nicely done. 

Eat 'em. They're yummy. See, look.


Total Cost Delicious Snack for you, your husband, and your son (and maybe a tiny taste for baby): $0.67 - less than a candy bar...I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...

2 comments:

  1. These look like something my fiance would like very much...I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I love Yorkshire Puddings and popovers, but have never made either because I thought you had to have a special pan... I think I will have to make these very soon.

    ReplyDelete