Monday, April 25, 2011

Crème Brûlée

Happy Easter Monday, y'all! Bona Pasquetta! Yesterday I made Crème Brûlée, and it was pretty yummy. One or two people said it was the best they ever had. I highly recommend that you buy a torch to make the burnt sugar on top. The few times I tried to burn the sugar top without, I could never quite get it right. You can find a nice little torch at Bed, Bath, and Beyond in a set with some ramekins for not too bad. I bought mine about three or four years ago. This is the kit I have. It comes with four really little but really pretty ramekins. We are now down to two, as the others broke. I used Mark Bittman's recipe in "How to Cook Everything," pages 657-658. I was pretty busy on other things, so I didn't take pictures while making it, but my friend Laura took some final product pics at her house, so I'll post them once she posts them to facebook. 

Ingredients & Prices

1 Vanilla Bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract) - I used a bean - $2.40
2 1/2 Cups heavy cream, light cream, or milk, or a mixture (Half and Half here) - $1.80
6 Egg Yolks - $0.94
1 Cup Sugar - $0.32

Generalized Instructions - See Mark for the Full Sha-Bang

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Infuse the cream with the vanilla bean (scrape the bean in an then throw the whole dang thing in) by warming to steam over low heat and then removing from heat and covering.

Whisk yolks and sugar a bunch. 

Remove bean from cream, add cream to yolks (lots of stirring), and put into either casserole or ramekins (or even coffee cups, which is what I used - I tested them the night before to be sure they wouldn't break).

Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. You should place custard holders into baking dish of hot water and place that in the oven.

Cool, cover with plastic wrap, and cool in refrigerator for some hours.

Put about a tablespoon of sugar on top of each serving, covering the top completely and use your torch to burn the sugar. Or, put in a broiler, watching closely. I suggest keeping in fridge between each to keep cool. Cause cool is yum. 

Break that sugar with your spoon and dig in. It's insanely good. :) Bona Pasqua!


Total Cost for 10 Small Servings - $5.46 (if you use extract, it's $3.16 but not quite as good)

Pics To Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment