Monday, April 4, 2011

Chocolate Hazelnut Roulade

Another chocolate recipe from The Complete Book of Chocolate and 200 Recipes. In the book, however, this is Chocolate Chestnut Roulade, and it's a very...British recipe, so I had a lot of exchanges and replacements to make. Happily, I was able to use Nutella as a replacement for something. That means, I had to buy some. Yum. Also, I discovered that the smallest cookie sheet of my set is in fact a swiss roll tin. Fabulous.

Ingredients & Prices

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped - $0.99
2 Tbsp cocoa powder, sifted - $0.14
4 Tbsp Strong Hot Coffee (frenchly pressed is what I did) - $0.30
6 Eggs, separated - $0.50 (18 pack of eggs for $1.50)
6 Tbsp Caster Sugar - $0.06 (use regular sugar, tossed in the processor for a bit, then allowed to settle)
pinch Cream of Tarter - $0.01
1 tsp Vanilla Essence (used mine again) - $0.10
cocoa powder for dusting - probably about another Tbsp - $0.07

For the Hazelnut Cream Filling

2 Cups (1 pint) Double Cream - $3.96 (I used heavy whipping cream. If you can find double cream, use that, you'll see how gooey my filling ends up because it's not thick enough. Had I enough time and brilliance, I would have made this recipe I found for double cream, but I only found it yesterday and it has to sit for 24 hours).
2 Tbsp Frangelico Hazelnut Liquor - $0.98 - you can use coffee liquor or rum also, but I had Frangelico
1 1/2 Cups Nutella - $3.15
It calls for 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated, here, but I didn't use it. It was plenty chocolatey. Yes, I said that.

Cake Instructions

Preheat oven to 350. Grease base an sides of  a Swiss roll tin. I bet you have one, too. It just looks like a cookie sheet and measures 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" by 1" or not quite so tall. Anyhow, I measured mine, and it's that big. Cool. Line with wax paper allowing overhang (but not too much that it touches the sides of your oven making smoke come out...not that I would know about that). 
Melt the chocolate.


Dissolve cocoa in hot coffee & set aside.


Beat egg yolks with half the sugar until pale and thick. 



It takes awhile.
Slowly beat in the melted chocolate and cocoa-coffee until just blended.


In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.

Stiff peaks.
Sprinkle the rest of the sugar over the whites an beat some more. Then beat in the vanilla. Stir a spoonful of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then fold in the rest.




Spoon into the tin. Bake 20-25 minutes (mine went 18) or until cake springs back when touched.


Tada! Then you have to remove it right away from the pan, so it doesn't keep cooking. Slide it on over.


Dust a dishtowel with cocoa. A thin one.

yes, pearls, earrings, jeans, and an AHC t-shirt Yep. :)
Carefully, flip the cake out onto the towel. I put the towel over the cake, then turned it over, then SLOWLY took off the wax paper. 




Trim off any crisp edges and let your husband or son or yourself eat 'em. 


Grab an end of the towel and roll the towel with the cake. 


Cool, huh? Yea! Let it cool completely. I went to the store, flew a kite, and ate lunch before messing with it again. I also made the filling.

Whip the cream and liquor until soft peaks form.


soft peaks

Beat some cream into the Nutella to lighten it, then beat the rest of it in. 

see the poor mixer - it doesn't like nutella


Then you get to unroll your cake. Lots of cracks in mine. 


Then put the cream stuff on that cake. Not too much, it ooooozes.



Roll it up and stick it in the fridge to get harder before you put more stuff on the outside.



This stuff was really good. Everyone had seconds, most had thirds... And we kept putting our fingers on the plate to lick off some more. Yum.


Dessert for 4 Adults, 3 kids, a little leftover: $10.26

No comments:

Post a Comment