Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tortellini Soup

I got this recipe from a December edition of Taste of Home from either 08 or 09, not sure which. I've changed it a bit, so I'll give you the whole deal. I think my husband is disappointed at the amount of meat (just bacon & chicken broth), so I'll have to pay him back with Beef & Broccoli on Thursday. Tomorrow, fish stick tacos. Sounds gross. We'll see how it goes. But, back to Tortellini, also known as Holiday, Soup. :)

Ingredients & Prices

1/4 Pound Bacon - $0.87
3 Tbsp Olive Oil - $0.33
4 Cups Chicken Broth - $1.25
1 Cup Water
1 Small-Medium Yellow Onion, chopped - $0.05
2 Green Onions - $0.20
2 tsp minced garlic (or 3 cloves) - $0.12
1 Can Crushed Tomatoes - $1.00
4 1/2 Cups Cooked Tortellini - $2.97
3 Cups Fresh Spinach - $1.17

Total Cost (feeds 2 adults, 1 kid dinner and a lunch): $7.96


Instructions

Warm olive oil in a deep pot over medium high heat. Add bacon.


Cook bacon until reasonably crispy. Then set aside on paper towel.


Your husband will come steal a piece of bacon when he smells it. That's ok.
By the by, the reason my bacon looks so small is that I cut it in half. I always do this, as I find it easier to cook in a pot. I think my husband started this trend. He's cool like that.
Cook the onions in the olive oil/bacon grease mixture.


Add the garlic and cook for maybe 30 seconds before adding in the broth and water. It's insane how quickly this garlic in water stuff burns. I don't think I like it. It saves so much time and frustration, but I'm really annoyed at the quick burningness of it. 
Boil soup and cook the tortellini according to package directions.


Break up the bacon into the soup.


Add crushed tomatoes and your favorite seasonings. I added about a teaspoon of oregano and a half a tsp of salt. I can't remember the name of it, but there is a crushed tomatoes with basil that's really good, then you don't really have to add anything. I can't wait until spring when I have fresh basil in my garden again. I just ran out of the dried stuff I had left from last year a few weeks ago.


Toss in the tortellini when it's cooked and simmer on low until right before you're ready to eat. 


Then add in the spinach and stir in on low until they're just wilted. 


Serve with cheese on top.






No comments:

Post a Comment