Monday, March 28, 2011

Steak, Homemade Fries, and Sautéed Onions & Mushrooms

Last night we had a bit of a celebratory dinner. My husband finished up his first 6 hours of Latin comprehensive exams on the way to getting his PhD (6 of 25). He takes 6 more in October for Greek. Then he's got the rest for his major and minor dissertation topics. Whew. So, since I know my husband and know that the weight hasn't really lessened on him, since he's still got so much to do and still has four jobs...I thought I'd go through the papers and find out which grocery store had Porterhouse on sale. Lo and behold, Safeway did. Go Safeway! They also had a few other deals, so I got a few other things, but I continue to do most of my grocery shopping at the safe and much cheaper Bottom Dollar. My husband made the marinade for the steak, but I'll try to get it all listed here from what he told me he put in. He loves banana cream pie, so we closed with this. Great night. :)

Ingredients & Prices

2 pounds Porterhouse Steak @ $5.99/lb - $11.98
1 1/2 tsp Garlic - $0.09
1/4 Cup Olive Oil - $0.44
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce - $0.13
1 Tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce - $0.23
Salt & Pepper to taste - $0.05
2 tsp Lemon Juice - $0.02
Charcoal for Grilling - $3.12 (half of the bag used previously)
3 Medium-Large Potatoes, Skinned - $0.23
2 Tbsp Butter - $0.14
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil - $0.04
1/4 lb sliced Mushrooms - $0.85
1 Medium/Large Yellow Onion, Sliced - $0.15
1 Tbsp Olive Oil (to drizzle over potatoes) - $0.11

Steak: Marinade each side in mixture of olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and lemon juice for 1-2 hours. Cook on grill to your preferred done-ness. We like medium rare to medium. My older brother likes it lightly browned on both sides! heh 

Potatoes: Peel potatoes, slice in half and then slice longways about five times to make steak fries. Melt 1 tbsp butter, and 2 tbsp veggie oil in pan and sear the outsides while preheating oven to 350. 


Move to a cookie sheet and drizzle with a tbsp of olive oil. Bake 10-15 minutes.


Slice mushrooms and onion. Sautée on low heat with remaining butter and oil.


My husband could tell I was in a rush, as the mushrooms were too close together. Give 'em some room!


Enjoy! It was all quite yummy. I kept thanking my husband for grilling the steaks, even though I found out how easy it is to do. The flavor of the smoke is just so intense, I feel as if he has done something amazing. And, with the flavor of that steak, he has. At one point, I had laid a fry on my steak, and I picked it up and ate it...the flavor of the steak had run into it, and it was DELICIOUS. Wow. I love this game.

Sorry, I had to eat some before I could take a picture!

Total Price of Meal, feeding 2 Adults, 1 Child with a few potatoes, mushrooms and pieces of meat for the baby - $17.58. That is right at half what we spent on a late lunch/early dinner at PF Chang's on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment