Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tarte au Citron (Lemon Soufflé Tart-hot)

This lightly sweet tart came from dear Julia. The pastry shell (Pâte Sablée - Sugar Crust) is on pages 633-635, and the tart is on pages 645-646. Save a moment of dropping four egg whites (causing me to screech nooooo in a shrill voice and my husband to come running to see if I had chopped off a finger), this dessert went off without a hitch and tasted quite yummy. I should have had the tea ready sooner. There really aren't a lot of ingredients in it - all I had to buy was a lemon!

Prices & Ingredients

Pâte Sablée
1 1/3 Cups Flour - $0.16
6 Tbsp Sugar  - $0.06
1/8 tsp baking powder (I didn't have double action, so I used 1/4 tsp regular bp) - $0.01
5 Tbsp Butter - $0.20
3 Tbsp Vegetable Shortening - $0.09
1 egg - $0.14
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (imitation) - $0.02

Tarte au Citron
3/4 Cup Sugar, separated - $0.12
4 eggs, separated - $0.56
1 Lemon (grated Rind + 3Tbsp Juice) - $0.41
a pinch of Salt - $0.01
2 Tbsp Confectioner's Sugar - $0.06

Total Cost Desert - 4 Adults, 3 Kids (enough for the other 2 kids who didn't want any!? - but my friend and I took care of the rest) - $1.84





This was very much a fun dessert to make. I used my fingers to combine the dough for the pastry, and let it chill about an hour and a half. Then! Julia told me to push it into my container and cover it with aluminum foil and beans to help it retain its shape! Heehee! That was fun.


I used a lovely mix of red and black beans in a 9 inch cake pan. 

a little peak at the shell

So you bake that for a pretty short time, take it out, take off the beans and bake it again, just for a few minutes. 



Beat together the sugar and egg yolks.


Then beat in the rind of the lemon and the lemon juice. You should be able to get enough juice out of your lemon. I didn't take a ton of pictures during the process, as we had guests over! What a fun time. If you're reading this, thanks for coming, y'all. Then you get to warm the lemon mixture over barely simmering water while stirring with a wire whisk. Here, I got some help from my friend who started up the whisking of the egg whites and salt (weird, I know) and then the sugar. Once I'd finished up the lemon-yolks, I beat the hell out of the egg whites. Finally we decided it was too hot in the kitchen to get them to peak, so I opened the door and held them outside. At last I got some little peaks. So then you gently fold it all together in the tart and bake for 30 minutes.

When you notice it start to puff up, sprinkle on the confectioner's sugar. You shouldn't wait too long after it's done to eat it, as you'll lose your puff.


Then you can cut it. It comes out really easily. 


pretty

It's not too sweet, just sweet enough, especially if you're having it with tea. 

Bon Appétite! 


No comments:

Post a Comment