Monday, March 14, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract: Day 1

Almost a year ago, my friend Sara gave me ten vanilla beans. You see, I make chai tea lattes the way they do at the Capp Bar at UD. I even use the same brand (Stash) tea. I make my own home made vanilla syrup, though. So my dear friend Sara thinks I ought to take it one step further! I cannot tell you how excited I am about making my own Vanilla Extract and turning that into syrup and using it for all recipes that call for vanilla. Now, since the vanilla beans were a gift, I am going to go with the average price on Amazon. My husband bought this vodka, so we'll go with that.

Just so we're clear, here, an eight ouncer of this brand of vanilla bean extract goes for $10. In four cups there are 32 ounces. Thus, you could buy this amount of vanilla extract at the store for around $40. Note, however, that when this is ready to use and you begin to use it, you can replace the liquid you use with fresh vodka (give it a shake!) and when the beans run out of yummy vanilla smell, you can replace them slowly as well. Therefore, the longer you stick to it, the more you save. This, I think, would also make a great gift for someone who cooks. You could buy a pretty bottle to put it in for probably under $5. Maybe add a bow or fancy ribbon. Cool gift. :)

Ingredients & Prices


5 Rodelle Vanilla Beans: $12.00
4 Cups (1 Quart) Vodka or Rum: $8.11

Total Cost:  $20.11

Instructions: Snip the ends off of 5 vanilla beans and drop all parts into airtight glass container. Pour vodka over beans. Close. Shake. Keep in a cool dry place. Shake daily. 

This is Day 1. The vodka is still entirely clear.



I will update periodically, so you can follow the oh so exciting progress of my extract. 

2 comments:

  1. ooh cool!

    I'm excited to see how it turns out! I've been WANTING to try it...but was wondering if the cost/time benefit analysis would be worth it.
    And, look, now you're finding out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see the fruit of my gift ;)
    SP

    ReplyDelete