Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chicken Fajitas with Homemade Tortillas

A thousand apologies for the multi-day absence. I lay blame upon Verizon, as in the middle of writing this on Wednesday evening, the internet and phone in our house stopped working and did not return to us until yesterday morning, via a new Fios box.

This dinner seemed like it wasn't going to be enough food at first, but flour tortillas are very filling, and the refried beans helped a lot, too.

Ingredients & Prices:

8 Tortillas from Homemade Recipe - $0.40

1/2 pound Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - $1.50
Normal Taco Ingredients, as per this post  can be used.
1 tsp Minced Garlic (from my new jar of pre-minced garlic in water) - $0.06
Shhhhh...Bacon grease from the day before...left in pan overnight, covered...
1 tsp Cumin, 1 tsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp salt - $0.07
1/2 Can Refried Beans - $0.44
8 tsp Sour Cream - $0.24
2 ounces Cheddar Cheese, shredded - $0.45
1 Jalapeño - for the Husband's Taco - $0.15
Hot Sauce to Taste
1 Tomato on the Vine - $0.55
Total Cost for 2 Adults, 1 Child, no Leftovers: $3.86

 Instructions
Warm skillet, preferably a cast iron one with bacon grease from the morning or day before (covered). Add in the garlic. Cook a minute. Add the chicken breasts and immediately sprinkle with the salt, cumin, and chili powder.

 Turn and sprinkle other side likewise.

Turn once more until cooked. If they're thin, this should take no more than 5 minutes. If they're thick, probably up to 10.

You could also pre cut them into strips, which would cut some time off. I like cutting after they're cooked, cause I hate raw chicken. Yuck.

Warm the refried beans with 2 Tbsp water for a bit of thinning, so it's easier to handle. Roughly chop the tomato, and slice the jalapeño thinly. 

Tortillas - you saw how to make these in the other recipe. When I made them originally, I made 5, then put the other 8 balls into the fridge for safe-keeping, as I knew I would eat them if I made them anytime before dinner. Once I took them out of the fridge, I heated the first one on the skillet after rolling it out. It would not roll well. I added a little flower, not wanting to make a huge mess, and rolled out another, which did a little (not much at all) better. Then, my four year old son decided to go at it while I was cutting up the veggies. Sadly, we were both too much of a mess to take a picture, but my son covered with flour next to a rolling pin and table covered with cups (yes plural) of flour did the trick. I had no problem with them once they were recovered in flour. Thus, my advice, do not put these in the fridge. Make & use right away. Much simpler. 
Note Lionel's has lots of jalapenos.
My intention was tacos, but we ended up with some delicious chicken fajitas. You should make these today, in remembrance of the Alamo. My husband was born and lived near San Antonio until he was ten. I grew up in Texas also, and always loved our family trips there. I hope you love these fajitas like we did. Happy Alamo Day

No comments:

Post a Comment