Sunday, March 20, 2011

Baked Chocolate Cheesecake

This second Sunday in Lent brings chocolate. It had to. We're having Baked Chocolate Cheesecake tonight from page 156 of The Complete Book of Chocolate and 200 Chocolate Recipes, a recipe book from...someone. I cannot remember where I got this one. Perhaps my sister? Or my mom? Or a friend? If you are the one who gave it to me, you're awesome. Thanks! We're taking it over to a friend's house, so I'm really hoping it works out. I've never made cheesecake before. It felt easy while I was doing it, though. Oh, and did you know that cheesecake has A LOT of cream cheese? We stopped at the store to get cream cheese, chocolate and chocolate biscuits, and I bought...ONE eight ounce package of cream cheese. Then I came home and looked over the recipe to discover that I needed to get four more! Oh yeah, cheesecake should have lots of cheese, eh? Haha. Now I know. Silly silly me. Also, this recipe is for a BIG cheesecake. I didn't have a big old cake pan with sides that come off to put it in, and my layer cake cake pan was MUCH too small, so I had to substitute my 13 x 3 glass casserole dish.

Ingredients & Prices


10 ounces plain chocolate (I got chips) - $2.89
5 Cups Cream Cheese - $8.90
Scant 1 Cup Sugar - $0.32
2 tsp vanilla essence - $0.20 (my vanilla)
4 Eggs - $0.56
3/4 Cup Sour Cream - $0.71
1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder - $0.07

For the Base


7 oz Chocolate biscuits, crushed - $0.78
8 Tbsp Butter, melted - $0.59
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon - $0.02


Generalized Instructions from the Book (see the book in the background)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease the base of either a 9x3 springform tin OR a 9x13 casserole dish if you don't have the former (like me). Mix the crushed biscuits with the butter and cinnamon.

I crushed the biscuits in the processor.
Press into base of tin to make crust. 



Melt the chocolate and set aside.


Toward the end, I held the pot high over the flame, so the chocolate would not burn.



Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Note that you really should have room temp. cream cheese, else your mixer will get mad at you. Mine did. 


Add the sugar and vanilla essence and beat some more. (I used my homemade stuff). It gets much easier once you've added the sugar. Notice my grumpy face below. I looked up the term "scant" in the dictionary, and it said grudgingly giving the minimum. Thus I grudgingly add the sugar...just barely.


Add the eggs, one at a time.


In another bowl, mix together the sour cream and cocoa powder.


Add to the cream cheese mixture.


Add in the chocolate. YUM.


Finally, pour it all into your baking dish and bake for 1 hour.


Take it out and let it cool for a while. Serve chilled. 


Total Cost of Cheesecake to serve 10-12: $15.04
So, if ever you think that a slice of pie for $8 is too much, make your own!

1 comment:

  1. That looks AMAZING! Gonna have to try that next Sunday. :-)

    ReplyDelete