Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Red Beans & Rice

Here's a nice meatless meal for the coming Lenten season. Lent starts 2 weeks from today.

Yesterday afternoon, I put 3/4 Cup of Red Beans in a small bowl and covered them with water. Late this morning (around 11:30am), I put said beans in the slow cooker.

Ingredients & Prices


3/4 Cups Dry Red Beans (soak 'em forever).  - $0.19
1 1/2 Cups Water for soaking
Soak beans overnight.

Preferably in the morning, place the beans and the following ingredients into the slow cooker on low. If you have to wait until later, put it on high, but keep an eye on it. Stir often on high.

3 Cups Water for Cooking (fresh water)
3 Small Yellow Onions - $0.15
3 Mashed Garlic Cloves - $0.15
1tsp Cumin -$0.03
1/2 tsp Chili Powder - $0.03
2 tsp Salt - $0.02









Meanwhile, cook 1 1/2 Cups Rice ($0.70). I have a rice cooker, so that makes my life easy. If you don't, follow the directions on the package. Once that is ready, heat some oil ($0.02) in the wok or frying pan. Add rice slowly. Season as desired. I am using Goya's Recaito Cilantro Cooking Base - 3Tbsp ($0.45). I can't possibly lose the cilantro this time...can I?

So that's it. It should make plenty of rice and beans for 2 adults, 1 child, with leftovers for 2 adults.
I will serve this up in a bowl, rice on bottom, beans on top, with about a Tbsp of shredded cheese ($0.45), a tsp of sour cream ($0.21), and as much hot sauce ($0.25) as we can take. I'll drop in a final product picture when all is ready.

Total Price: $2.65

No comments:

Post a Comment