Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Tortillas


We rolled them out on the table and in wax paper. I'd stick with a floured table. Slightly easier.
My fabulous friend Sara Perla offered me this recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas. I love them.

Ingredients & Prices
3 Cups Flour - $0.36
4 Tbsp Canola Oil - $0.04
1 tsp Salt - $0.01
1 tsp Baking Powder - $0.04
1 Cup Hot Tap Water

Total Cost of Dough - $0.45
How much I spent yesterday on a package of tortillas...more than twice that.




These are so easy and quick, though, that you must make them. You can't really make a super skinny tortilla out of it, as it just jumps right back into position, but what you get is perfect for fajita or taco-sized yummy, rather than burrito. Burritos are really about the insides, though, anyway.
Sara's Instructions: (word for word! :) ) Mix it all- set aside for one hour (bowl with towel over it as per usual) Divide into 10-12 parts. form discs. roll out. heat up on stove til bubbles form, flip, done!
Here is what a bubble looks like...

And here is what it looks like if you overcook the side. It's still tasty for eating plain, but if you get that dark a brown dots, then you can't wrap stuff up inside it anymore.


Stan and I made this recipe today, to test 'em out. We just kept eating them,

so I stored the rest of the balls in the fridge until dinner. Then, I realized that I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer...which means, no tacos tonight. Tomorrow. Tonight, you get a new recipe!

2 comments:

  1. These look sooooo awesome. Reminds me of Taco C. Do they tast similar? I'm going to make them tomorrow. Thanks, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're trying this today Janet! I can't wait to see if it works out. By which I mean, I cant wait to see if *I* can make it work.

    ReplyDelete