Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gâteau de Crêpes à la Florentine

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You know you're ready to go with Julia if you've got tons of butter...

Pâte à Crêpes - Crepe Batter & Method (pg. 191 Mastering the Art of French Cooking)

The recipe for crêpes was much simpler than I'd imagined. The most difficult part came when I was trying to make the batter, as Julia suggested, in a blender. I do not have a blender but a rather old food processor, and it is broken. Therefore, I put a cup of cold milk and a cup of cold water, turned away to get the eggs and heard a glug glug ... 

no, I didn't cry
Thus, I was forced to do it the hard way, and it was a pain. I think I could make crêpes daily if I had a blender, but I won't make them too soon, having to beat all the stuff together like mad - short my largest mixing bowl thanks to the grabbing hands of my seven month old daughter.

Use a cast iron if you have one. It makes your life much easier when it comes to flipping time. Also, be sure the first side is brown before flipping. It will save your first few crêpes.

Ingredients & Prices for Crêpes
1 cup cold milk: $0.19
1 cup cold water
4 eggs: $0.62
1/2 tsp salt: $0.01
1 1/2 cups flour: $0.17
4 T melted butter: $0.31
Plus Oil for Pan - $0.05

Total Cost of Crêpes (makes about 25-30): $1.35

Gâteau de Crêpes à la Florentine
(pg. 193 Mastering the Art of French Cooking)

Ingredients & Prices for Everything Else
5T flour: $0.04
8T butter: $0.62
2 3/4 C boiling milk: $0.53
1/2 tsp salt: $0.01
1/8 tsp pepper: $0.01
Big pinch nutmeg: $0.02
1/4 C whipping cream: $0.50
1 Cup Coarsely chopped grated Swiss Cheese (I substituted mozzarella) - $0.90
2 T minced green onions: $0.44
1 egg: $0.16
8 ounces Cream cheese: $1.48
1 1/2 Cups (I used 2) Spinach (I used frozen instead of fresh blanched): $1.45
1/4 lb. minced mushrooms: $1.69

Total Price Sauce & Filling: $7.85

Total Price Gâteau de Crêpes à la Florentine: $9.20



This filled 2 9" Cake pans, fed me, my husband, my 4 year old, my friend Laura and her husband, and her two daughters (ages almost 2 & almost 4). There is also a half a cake pan leftover. So we fed 4 adults and 3 kids on this meal, and will likely feed another 2 adults and a kid for a lunch meal. Nice.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I am so sorry. I nearly cried when I saw that picture!

    Butter. Yum.

    When you do get a blender, I recommend an immersion blender. I use it for everything I would use a normal blender for, but it also blends hot soups (yay for no messy transfer!). I've actually gotten the minions to eat vegetable soup this way. I feel heroic.

    I've never tackled crepes. Just looking at them make me nervous. You're a braver woman than I.

    ReplyDelete